19 Feb 2006

Fresher party '06

Yesterday was a blast. There is no other way to describe our freshers party. I went into the party determined to work off every rupee of my contribution of 460 bucks, and boy, didn’t I.I went into the party wearing a clean and pressed shirt and tee. I came out with a completely sweaty and crumpled one. Remind me never to wear so clean clothes. They are gonna get dirty anyway.

So here is the rundown of the day. Scheduled to start from 6.30 pm, the party got off after one hour because as Indians, we are real suckers for punctuality. Formal introductions with the juniors over, it was time to start the party proper. After steaming soup and starters, most of the folks spilled out into the dance floor. Some guys had dosed themselves with too much alcohol so all they could do was barely stand still. One of them was so stoned that no amount of rousing woke him up and at the end of the party he had to be practically carried between two chaps all the way to the hostel. But more of that later.

So there was everybody on the dance floor, free for all. It was sort of improvisation whereby you danced according to the music belting out from the speakers. After a particular vigorous bout of hip shaking, everybody would stand aside to get a few moments breadth, and then would again plunge headlong. To cut a long story short, everybody let their hair down, myself included even though I had shaved off my hair .Soon it was only the adrenaline that sustained us, as we were pretty inexperienced and out of practice at this sort of thing. Any decent party ought to have food, and in my mind I had not yet worked up all the money. So I sat down and began to shovel in till it was bursting. Even though I had focused my attention on food, yet I spied some people who seemed to be crying. Alcohol and emotions sometimes loosens up your tear glands.I have seen it happen before.

To cut a long story short, the music, food, everything was superb. The 3rd yearites deserve our appreciation for organizing such a wonderful party. And speaking of myself, I soon began to feel the effects of overexertion on my seldom used muscles and joints. After trudging back on foot for more than a kilometer, when I reached my room bone tired and threw myself on the bed, the blasted electricity went off. No fans and no mosquito repellant. With mosquitoes practicing their singing I had to hunker under a blanket, which left me stewing. I drifted off to sleep when it was 7 in the morning and woke up at noon, whole body aching. And a shocker of news awaited me-bird flu had come to India and the place of outbreak, I heard someone say was only four hours away. This scared the living headlights out of me when I thought about the chicken I ate yesterday. So no chicken until this threat goes-I think I am going to be a veggie for the time being. And eggs are also banned.  Wonder how long this ache lasts?

No comments:

by TemplatesForYouTFY
SoSuechtig